Honey Oat Snack Bars
Prep 10M | Bake 35M | Enjoy in 45M
Try these honey oat snack bars for a healthy, nut-free snack for school and work or fuel for after-school activities. Make a few batches to have the perfect snack on-hand for whatever life throws your way! The addition of wheatgerm throws adds an extra nutritional punch.
What is wheatgerm?
Wheat germ is the protein-rich section of a wheat kernel. When a wheat kernel is planted and grows, it is the wheat germ that eventually turns into the wheat plant! Get the lowdown on wheatgerm here.
Most large grocery stores carry wheatgerm in the cereal aisle, but you can also find it at most health-food stores.
2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup wheatgerm
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup raisins, craisins or chocolate chips
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 20 x 30 cm baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheatgerm, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt.
- Make a hole in the centre and pour in the egg, honey, oil and vanilla. Mix well using your hands.
- Pat the mixture evenly into the greased baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges.
- Cool for 5 minutes and cut into desired serving size. (Don’t wait too long or the bars will become difficult to cut)