Crispy Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
Prep 25M | Bake 20M | Enjoy in 2Hr 45M
Put down the phone and leave the coupons in the junk drawer, because we’re doing pizza from the ground up. Sure, pepperoni might be the star of the show, but this crust is setting everyone else up for fame. Prepare this dough ahead of time and you’ll have an airy, crispy whole-wheat base to layer your favourite toppings on. Toss it in the oven for a delicious homemade pizza without having to tip a delivery driver.
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 ½ cups warm water 110 deg. F (45 deg. C)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water. Sprinkle the yeast over the top and let stand until foamy, around 10 minutes.
- Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture. Add in the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of all-purpose flour and mix until it a dough starts to form. Place dough on a floured surface with the remaining all-purpose flour and knead until all the flour has been absorbed and the dough has become smooth, about 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover loosely with a towel and let stand in a warm area until doubled in size, around an hour.
- Once doubled in size, place dough on a floured surface. Divide into 2 dough balls for thin crust pizzas, or leave as one dough ball for 1 thick crust pizza. Form into tight ball and let rise for around 45 minutes, until doubled again.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Roll dough out with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. Drape it out over 2 fists, gently pulling edges outward while rotating the crust. When the circle has reached the desired size, place on a well-oiled pan and top with our favourite sauce and toppings.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven until the crust is crisp and golden and cheese is melted.