Wheat Crunch Oven Baked Chicken
Prep 20M | Bake 40M | Enjoy in 1HR
Crunchy, herb flavoured, baked not fried chicken. Dredging is the process of sealing the meat with flour before applying moisture and the final flavourful coating, for a perfect piece of chicken.
1 cup toasted wheat flakes
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder (not salt)
½ teaspoon coarse salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup canola oil
2 tablespoons water
1 cup whole wheat flour for dredging
15 pieces fresh or thawed chicken (breasts, thighs, drums)
- Pre heat oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly grease two large baking sheets with sides.
- Toast wheat flakes in the pre heated oven for two to three minutes, until lightly browned and fragrant.
- In a large bowl combine flakes, flour, sugar, herbs, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add canola oil and mix with a fork or your hands until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- In another bowl, large enough to fit a piece of chicken, whisk together eggs and water. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl place the 1 cup (250 mL) of flour.
- With a paper towel, pat dry chicken pieces.
- In this order line up chicken, flour, egg wash, coating and baking pan on a counter.
- With one hand take chicken piece and completely coat with flour, dip into egg wash to moisten, press into coating to cover and place on baking sheet. Repeat with each piece of chicken.
- Spray coated chicken pieces lightly with cooking oil spray. Bake for 30-40 minutes until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Cooked chicken freezes well up to two months, reheat at 400°F (200°C).