Butternut Squash Gnocchi
Prep 20M | Cook 35M | Enjoy in 55M
Gnocchi are light little dumplings, easy to make and fabulous with savory sauces. We particularly like this combination of butternut squash with a rich brown butter and creamy Parmesan glaze and toasted walnuts.
1 ½ cups cooked, pureed and cooled butternut squash
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2/3 cup ricotta cheese
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
¼ cup butter
1 cup 10% cream
½ cup toasted, chopped walnuts
1 Pinch nutmeg
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, additional to garnish, if desired
- To cook butternut squash, cut into large chunks, remove seeds and roast, uncovered in a 350°F (180°C) oven until soft, about 30 minutes, or microwave squash chunks until soft. Scrape squash away from peel, and mash or puree. Do not add any additional moisture.
- In a large bowl, combine squash, salt, nutmeg, cheese, egg and 1 ¾ cups of flour. Mix ingredients using your hands until just combined. Do not overmix, or gnocchi will be tough. Dough should be workable but still sticky. If it is too wet, gradually add the remaining ¼ cup of flour.
- Remove ¼ of the dough to a clean, floured work surface. Roll dough back and forth with your hands to form a long rope approximately 1 inch (5 cm) in diameter. With a sharp knife slice the dough into 1 ½ inch (3 – 4 cm) pieces. Place gnocchi on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Repeat until all gnocchi has been formed.
- In a large pot or pasta pot bring lightly salted water to a boil. Carefully add gnocchi, in small batches, return to a boil and cook until gnocchi rises to the top of the water, about five minutes.
- Remove cooked gnocchi with a slotted spoon to a warm platter. Continue to cook remaining gnocchi in small batches.
Brown Butter Sauce:
- In a skillet over medium heat melt butter, stirring until it starts to brown slightly.
- Stir in cream, reduce heat and continue stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens, enough to cover the spoon, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add Parmesan and nutmeg, stir to combine.
- Add gnocchi to sauce in the pan and toss to coat. Garnish with toasted walnuts.