Apple Pecan Bread Pudding
Prep 1Hr 15M | Bake 45M | Enjoy in 2 Hrs
Chunks of whole-grain bread, soaking up the flavours of apple, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg are topped with fresh pecans and baked to perfection. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
2½ cups milk (skim or 2%)
1/2 cup applesauce
½ cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
12 slices whole-grain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (try different flavours, like honey whole-grain)
1 large apple, washed, cored and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
½ to 1 cup pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, applesauce, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- With a spatula, gently fold in bread, apple and pecans.
- Turn out ingredients into a 9×13 inch or similar baking dish coated with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Cover and refrigerate for approximately one hour. Remove from fridge and bake for 45 minutes to one hour, until the top is golden brown and there is no excess liquid remaining.
- Serve the bread pudding warm with ice cream, or serve chilled with a vanilla or caramel sauce.
Substitutions: Pecans can be replaced with raisins or other nuts. In place of apples, try adding a cup of blueberries or Saskatoon berries
Get the nutrition facts for this recipe here.