Prep 20M | Bake 8M | Enjoy in 30M
Tomatoes are at their very best in the summer, and this easy-to-make, healthy bruschetta is the perfect way to showcase their flavour. This recipe is part of our July meal plan.
5 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 tbsp red onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh basil, thinly sliced
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
½ baguette, whole wheat or white, cut into ½ inch slices
- Start by preparing vegetables. Wash, seed and chop tomatoes, then mince red onion and garlic.
- Freshly grate ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese.
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped tomatoes, minced red onion, 1 clove finely minced garlic, 1 tbsp olive oil, basil, vinegar, grated cheese, salt and pepper. If desired, this mixture may be prepared up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerated.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice baguette and place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle remaining 1 tbsp oil evenly over baguette slices. Bake until lightly browned, about 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice remaining clove garlic in half crosswise.
- Remove baguettes from oven and rub cut garlic on toasted bread slices.
- Top each slice of baguette with about 1-2 tbsp tomato-onion-garlic mixture.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Note: The tomato mixture may be prepared in advance, but the toasted baguette slices should be made shortly before serving. Once assembled, bruschetta should be served immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 slices)
7 g fat
4 g protein
16 g carbohydrate (13 g available carbohydrate)
3 g fibre
183 mg sodium