Berry Crumb Cake by Dinner with Julie
PREP 15M | BAKE 90M | ENJOY IN 1HR 45M
This buttery not-too-sweet cake by Dinner with Julie is great with a variety of fruit, including berries or stone fruits like peaches or plums. Easy to make and popular with the whole family!
Ingredients - Cake:
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 Tbsp canola or other vegetable oil
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
2-3 cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) berries, or sliced peaches or plums
Ingredients - Crumb:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F. In a large bowl, beat the butter, oil and sugar for a couple minutes, until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add about half to the butter mixture and stir by hand or on low speed just until blended.
- Stir in the sour cream or yogurt and then the rest of the flour, stirring just until combined. Spread into a buttered or parchment-lined 9-inch round or square pan or baking dish. Spread the fruit over top.
- In the same bowl, blend the brown sugar, flour, butter, cinnamon and salt and mix with a fork or rub between your fingers until well blended. Scatter over the berries, squeezing the mixture as you go to create larger crumbs.
- Bake for 75-90 minutes, or until the visible cake is golden and springy to the touch. It may seem soft in the middle, but should firm up as it cools. Serves 8-12.