Very Berry Wheat Bars
Prep 15M | Bake 45M | Enjoy in 1 Hr
Whole grains, blueberries, raspberries, sunflower seeds and more provide fibre, B vitamins and quick energy. Freeze these bars for a quick breakfast, mid-morning snack or a healthy treat after a workout.
Makes 12-16 large bars.
2 cups whole wheat flour
¼ cup wheat germ
2/3 cup brown sugar + 1/5 cup
2/5 tsp salt
1 cup soft butter
1 cup raspberry jam
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries or raspberries
¼ cup wheat flakes
¼ cup unsalted, toasted sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with two pieces of foil which overlap in the middle, with extra foil hanging over the edges.
- In a large mixing bowl blend with a wooden spoon or electric mixer the flour, wheat germ, brown sugar, salt and soft butter until mixture resembles small gravel. Reserve 1 cup and press remaining mixture firmly into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes until edges start to brown. Remove and cool slightly.
- In a small bowl stir together jam and berries. Spread evenly over base in pan.
- Return reserved mixture to mixing bowl, and stir in wheat flakes, sunflower seeds, and brown sugar. Sprinkle evenly over jam mixture, pressing down firmly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbly and browned. Cool completely before using foil sides to remove the entire recipe with foil to a cutting board. Cut into 12 or 16 squares, depending on the size of bar desired. Wrap individually and refrigerate for one week or freeze for up to one month.
Get the nutrition facts for this recipe here.