Overnight Butternut Squash and Kale Casserole
Prep 30M + Overnight | Bake 1H | Enjoy in 1H 30M + Overnight
This fall casserole can be refrigerated overnight and baked the next day, making this a perfect fuss-free brunch dish.
5 cups cubed and peeled butternut squash
1 tbsp canola oil
¾ tsp salt, divided
¾ tsp freshly ground pepper, divided
8 large eggs
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried basil
4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
½ cup diced red onion
2 cloves minced garlic
6 cups coarsely chopped kale
2 cups baby spinach
8 cups day-old whole wheat bread cubes (French bread or crusty rustic loaf works best)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine squash, canola oil, ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper in a large bowl; toss until squash is coated.
- Place squash in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake until squash is tender, about 25-30 minutes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, thyme, basil and remaining ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
- Heat a large frypan over medium heat. Cook bacon until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper-towel lined plate. Drain excess fat from pan, leaving 1-2 tsp in pan.
- Return frypan to medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add kale and spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add bacon back to pan. Stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine bread, squash and kale mixture, stirring gently to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Pour egg mixture over top of bread mixture. Cover and
- Remove baking dish from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake, covered for 25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Continue baking, uncovered, until lightly browned and casserole is set, about 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving (1 ½ cups)
18 g fat
21 g protein
46 g carbohydrate (37 g available carbohydrate)
9 g fibre
771 mg sodium