Chicken and Waffles
Prep 30M | Cook 35M | Enjoy in 1H 5M
Great for breakfast or dinner, this chicken and waffles recipe uses a hint of honey in the waffles and yogurt and cornflakes in the baked chicken to keep preparation easy and healthy. This recipe is part of our February meal plan.
Ingredients - Chicken:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 large egg
½ cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
2 cups corn or bran flakes
2 tbsp canola oil, divided
Ingredients - Waffles:
Makes 4 medium waffles
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
Dash of salt
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
2 tsp honey
Drizzle of canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place chicken breasts in plastic bags or between pieces of Saran Wrap. Lightly pound the chicken with the flat side of a meat mallet until approximately 1-inch thick.
- Combine flour with salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Combine egg with yogurt in a separate bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Place corn or bran flakes in a sealed plastic bag. Crush the flakes into smaller pieces, and transfer to a third bowl.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the flour mixture, turning to coating evenly, then dip in the egg mixture, and finally coat with corn or bran flakes.
- Brush 1 tbsp canola oil onto a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Place chicken on the baking sheet, then lightly drizzle remaining 1 tbsp oil evenly over chicken. Bake until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, start preparing waffles: whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, vanilla, eggs and honey. Whisk to combine.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix just until combined.
- Cook in a preheated greased waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Serve the chicken on top of waffles with a drizzle of maple syrup or fruit preserves. Enjoy!
Serves 4 (1 waffle + 1 piece of chicken per serving)
Nutritional analysis per serving
17 g fat
43 g protein
53 g carbohydrate (47 g available carbohydrate)
6 g fibre
863 mg sodium