Classic Beef Lasagna
Prep 45M | Cook 45M | Enjoy in 1H 30M
This classic beef lasagna tastes just like Garfield’s favourite, but uses high protein cottage cheese and plenty of spinach, adding lots of essential nutrients to your meal. Freeze in individual portions for up to three months for easy meals on the go.
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 cup finely diced carrot
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced red bell pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried basil
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 can (796 mL) diced tomatoes, no salt added
1½ cups cottage cheese
4 cups spinach
12 lasagna noodle sheets, pre-cooked
¾ cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat if needed.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, peppers and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add oregano, basil, salt and pepper and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened slightly.
- Meanwhile, steam the spinach until just wilted, then mix with cottage cheese.
- Spread 1/3 of tomato sauce in bottom of a lightly greased 9×13 inch pan. Add a layer of noodles, then add ½ of the cottage cheese mixture. Add another layer of noodles, 1/3 of tomato sauce and another layer of noodles. Add remaining cottage cheese mixture and another later of noodles. Spread remaining tomato sauce over top of noodles.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to cook until cheese is lightly browned, about 10–15 minutes. Cut into 12 pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serves 12 (1 piece per serving)
Nutritional analysis per serving
6 g fat
18 g protein
24 g carbohydrate (21 g available carbohydrate)
31 g fibre
194 mg sodium