Crab and Cauliflower Cakes
Prep 20M | Cook 25M | Enjoy in 45M
These flavourful crab cakes are great in the summer, and can be served as an appetizer, a main or on top of your favourite salad for some added protein! This recipe uses whole wheat flour, which is made from milling the whole wheat kernel with the bran and germ intact, making it a good source of fibre. It adds a nutty taste and a hearty texture to a variety of dishes.
1 can (170 g) chunk crab meat, drained
½ cup cauliflower
1 large egg
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
3 tbsp plain dry breadcrumbs
2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
3 tbsp minced red bell pepper
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp chopped green onion
½ tsp pepper
1 tbsp canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook the cauliflower until tender, about 5–6 minutes.
- Drain cauliflower and place in a large bowl. Coarsely mash the cauliflower with a fork. Add remaining ingredients except the canola oil and mix well.
- Form the crab mixture into patties, using about ¼ cup per patty.
- Transfer crab patties to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper then drizzle the canola oil over the cakes.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then flip crab cakes and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serves 3 (2 crab cakes per serving)
Nutritional analysis per serving
5 g fat
8 g protein
10 g carbohydrate (8 g available carbohydrate)
2 g fibre
136 mg sodium