Five Reasons to Include Wheat in Your Diet
So many ways to worship wheat
You can’t go wrong including life’s simple ingredient in your diet. Besides the deliciousness of cookies, wheat has many advantages, making it beneficial to include in your daily meal rotation. With essential vitamins and minerals at a wallet-friendly price, adding wheat to you and your family’s diet is a no-brainer. Check out our top five reasons why you should have wheat products on your grocery checklist.
- It’s good for your gut! We talk about fibre pretty often, but it’s for good reason. Many Canadians are not getting enough fibre in their diet, a nutrient essential in helping the body digest foods. Fibre not only helps with bowel movements and staying fuller for longer, but it may also help to lower your risk of stroke, colon cancer, heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
- Get a variety of essential nutrients through different types of wheat products. Whole grain bread, whole wheat crackers and pasta are all great sources of a variety of essential nutrients. Whole grain flour includes the whole kernel and is high in vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants. By choosing a whole wheat-based product, you’ll be getting a good source of minerals like potassium, zinc and phosphorus. If your dinner includes a dish with all-purpose (or white) flour, you’ll be getting vitamins like folic acid and riboflavin, as all-purpose flour is enriched with many vitamins and minerals.
- It’s accessible, affordable, and a great option for the whole family. Head to any grocery store near you and you’re sure to find a wheat product that fits your family’s needs and isn’t going to break the bank. From loaves of bread to breakfast cereal and boxes of pasta, you can create quality (and tasty!) meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner with wheat. Get started by trying our family and budget-friendly weeknight meals this week!
- The possibilities are endless! We say this a lot too, but it really is true. Wheat has been a staple in so many cuisines for years and makes a great canvas for a multitude of recipes. Whether you’re a professional chef or at-home baker, you can make something delicious with wheat. Try making a delectable dessert this week or put your chef hat on and create a main course that your guests will be impressed with.
- It’s a great source of energy for fueling all your adventures. Our brains and bodies run on carbohydrates—a nutrient that is plentiful in wheat! Because carbohydrates are the fastest digesting macronutrient, wheat-based snacks and meals are an ideal choice for gearing up to exercise, or as a recovery meal post-exercise. Getting that energy to your brain will help you feel the best throughout the day.
It’s easy to see why wheat has been and continues to be an ingredient in cultures across the world. As a blank canvas for tasty meals, you can create sweet or savoury meals and snacks that satisfy your hunger and nutritional needs.