Fluffy Blueberry, White Chocolate, Hazelnut Scones
Prep 20M | Bake 25M | Enjoy in 45M
These rich, yet light pastries are fabulous for breakfast on the go, and will definitely make you a hero at the morning office meeting. Bake a batch, freeze, reheat and reap the rewards!
Tip: Use any seasonal frozen berry, substitute dark chocolate and omit the nuts if desired. Makes 12 scones.
½ cup toasted chopped hazelnuts
2 cups all purpose wheat flour
¼ cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup cold, cubed butter
1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt (any fat content)
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
½ cup chopped white chocolate
1 Tbsp milk or yogurt
1 Tbsp sugar
- Pre heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease or line with parchment paper two baking sheets.
- To toast hazelnuts bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for five to seven minutes, turning often, until fragrant. Remove to a clean tea towel and rub the hazelnuts vigorously, this will release the brown skin.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. With two knives or a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles large peas. Stir in yogurt, berries, chocolate and hazelnuts, just until all ingredients are combined. Do not over mix or the batter will become tough and blueberries will “bleed” into mixture.
- Remove dough to a lightly floured surface, it will be sticky and a little more flour may be required. Knead only two or three times.
- Pat dough into an 8 inch (20 cm) circle. Cut into quarters, and cut each quarter into thirds for 12 triangular pieces. Brush with milk or yogurt and sprinkle with sugar. Place on cookie sheets.
- Bake for 20- 23 minutes, until scones are lightly browned on the bottom, and dry to the touch. Cool and keep in a covered container for two days. Freeze for up to one month.
Get the nutrition facts for this recipe here.