French Toast with Apple Blueberry Compote
Prep 5M | Cook 20M | Enjoy in 25M
Does it get any better than French toast on a Sunday morning? We don’t think so. Instead of topping your toast with maple syrup, try using a mix of fresh and
frozen fruit to make a compote. Delicious!
Ingredients - Apple Blueberry Compote:
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and chopped
1 tbsp orange juice
½ cup frozen blueberries
1 tsp cinnamon
Ingredients - French Toast:
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
¾ cup milk
½ tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
2 tsp butter, divided
8 slices whole wheat bread
- To make compote, combine apples and orange juice in a pot on medium heat and simmer until apples are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add blueberries and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To prepare French toast, whisk together egg whites, egg, milk, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl.
- Melt 1 tsp butter in a pan on medium heat.
- Dip the bread into the egg mixture, being sure to coat both sides.
- Working in batches, place the bread in the pan and cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer to serving plates.
- Drizzle compote over the French toast and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
Nutritional analysis per two slices:
6 g fat
12 g protein
34 g carbohydrate (29 g available carbohydrate)
5 g fibre
342 mg sodium