Greek Chicken Gyros
Prep 2Hr | Cook 25M| Enjoy in 2Hr 30M
These whole wheat pitas are filled with protein and veggies to make a delicious balanced meal for lunch or dinner. It is also a great way to use up leftover chicken! This recipe is part of our April meal plan.
Ingredients - Chicken:
⅓ cup diced red onion
¼ cup lemon juice
3 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Ingredients - Pita and filling:
6 whole wheat pitas (6 inch)
3 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
3 cups Roma tomatoes, diced
1 large cucumber, diced
1 small red onion, diced
2 tbsp feta cheese
2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro
Kalamata olives, sliced (optional)
Ingredients - Tzatziki:
1 cup cucumber, peeled and deseeded
½ cup chopped onion
1 cup Greek yogurt
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh dill, or 1 tsp dried dill
- In a mixing bowl, combine onion, lemon juice, Greek yogurt, olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, oregano, thyme, coriander and freshly ground black pepper to make the marinade.
- Place chicken breasts in a large Ziploc bag. Add marinade, seal bag while pressing out excess air and transfer to refrigerator to marinate 2-4 hours. 30 minutes before cooking, remove bag from refrigerator while preparing other ingredients.
- While the chicken is marinating, combine cucumber, onion, Greek yogurt, lemon juice and dill to make tzatziki sauce. Refrigerate.
- Bake or grill chicken until cooked through (internal temperature should reach 165°F), rotating once halfway through cooking. If cooking in the oven, bake for around 25 minutes at 400°F. Broil lightly for the last 5 minutes to slightly char chicken.
- Transfer cooked chicken to plate and brush lightly with olive oil. Cover with foil and allow to rest 10 minutes. Cut into strips.
- Divide chicken and toppings into 6 portions. Place chicken in the center of warmed pitas and top with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta cheese, cilantro, kalamata olives and tzatziki sauce. Wrap and serve.
Meal prep tip: you can cook the chicken ahead of time and freeze for up to three months. To re-heat, simply thaw and microwave until hot. Don’t build the rest of the gyros until the day of consumption.
Nutritional analysis per one pita
10 g fat
38 g protein
44 g carbohydrate (38 g available carbohydrate)
6 g fibre
352 mg sodium