Green Onion Cakes Over The Campfire
Prep 1HR 15M | Cook 5M | Enjoy in 10M
Recipe provided by ATCO Blue Flame Kitchen.
Cook’s Note: Raw green onion cakes may be frozen for up to 1 month. If freezing, layer green onion cakes with parchment paper in an airtight container. Do not thaw before cooking.
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup cold water
4 tsp sesame oil
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced green onions
2 tbsp canola oil
Spicy Soy Dipping Sauce
1. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
2. Add hot water to flour mixture, mixing lightly with a fork until clumps form.
3. Add cold water and stir just until dough starts to come together.
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough gently for 2 minutes and shape into a ball.
5. Wrap dough with plastic wrap and let stand for 1 hour.
6. Combine green onions and cilantro in a bowl; set aside.
7. Unwrap and transfer dough to a clean surface. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
8. On a clean surface roll out each ball into a circle about 8 inches in diameter.
9. Spread about ½ tsp sesame oil evenly over each circle. Sprinkle ¼ cup green onion mixture over each.
10. Roll up one circle, jelly-roll fashion, forming a log. Starting with one end of log, shape into a tight coil. Repeat procedure with remaining circles.
11. On a clean surface, roll out each coil into a circle about 5 inches in diameter.
12. Brush both sides of cakes with canola oil.
13. Grill cakes in batches over medium-high heat on natural gas barbecue until grill-marked and browned on both sides, about 2 – 3 minutes per side.
14. Cut into wedges. Serve with Spicy Soy Dipping Sauce. Makes 32 wedges.