Grilled Beef Kefta Gyros
Prep 30M | Cook 10M | Enjoy in 40M
Kefta is a kind of spiced Middle Eastern skewer, usually made with lamb or beef. This recipe for grilled beef kefta is served wrapped in a pita with fresh vegetables and tzatziki. This recipe is part of our May meal plan.
Ingredients - Beef Kefta:
12 bamboo skewers
1 lb lean ground beef
3 cloves minced garlic
¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp allspice
¼ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
Ingredients - Pita and Fillings:
6 whole wheat pita bread (6 inch)
3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
3 cups diced Roma tomatoes
1 ½ cups diced cucumber
½ cup finely chopped red onion
2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
2 tbsp fresh thinly sliced mint
3 tbsp sliced pitted Kalamata olives
6 tbsp tzatziki, homemade or store-bought
- Soak bamboo skewers in hot water for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine beef, garlic, cilantro, parsley, cumin, coriander, allspice, ginger, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine. Divide beef mixture into 12 equal portions.
- Using hands, shape each portion around the pointed end of bamboo skewers, squeezing gently to form a sausage shape about 3 inches long.
- Grill over medium heat on a barbecue, turning occasionally, until browned and thoroughly cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Place one or two kefta skewers in the centre of a pita. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, feta, mint, olives and tzatziki.
- Remove bamboo skewers before serving. Enjoy!
Serves 6 (1 pita + 2 skewers per serving)
Nutritional analysis per serving
11 g fat
29 g protein
41 g carbohydrate (35 g available carbohydrate)
6 g fibre
634 mg sodium