Hawaiian Sweet Roll Sliders by Jillian Rae Cooks
PREP 45M | REST 2HR 10M | BAKE 45HR | ENJOY IN 3HR 40M
Bring the taste of the Hawaiian Islands to Canada with these soft and sweet rolls by Jillian Rae Cooks. These fluffy buns are great on their own with just butter or jam or try turning them into sliders as described below.
*You can substitute instant yeast for active dry yeast, you might just need an extra 15 mins or so to rise
½ cup whole milk
¾ cup pineapple juice
½ cup packed brown sugar
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and divided
2 tsp. vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose Canadian flour
4 tsp. active yeast*
2 tsp. salt
2 large eggs, divided
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. butter, melted
Ingredients - sliders:
Black Forest ham
Sliced Granny Smith apples
- In a medium bowl, combine milk, pineapple juice, brown sugar, 6 tbsp. melted butter and vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of an electric stand mixer, sift together flour, yeast and salt. Slowly add the wet mixture into the dry (on low speed if using an electric mixer), stirring to combine. Add in 1 egg and the apple cider vinegar and continue to stir until fully combined.
- Knead for 10 minutes. Cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap et rest in a warm place for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size. To speed things up a little, I like to turn my oven on to the lowest possible setting, let it preheat and once ready, I put the dough in there and immediately turn the heat off.
- Grease a 9×13 inch pan and set aside. Gently deflate the dough and divide it into 18 even sized pieces (I used a scale to ensure even rolls). Place the rolls in the greased pan evenly spaced apart with approx. ½ an inch of space left around the perimeter of the pan. Brush the tops and sides of each roll with the remaining 2 tbsp. melted butter.
- Cover and let rise again until doubled in size (another hour).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Whisk the remaining egg with 1 tbsp. of water and brush the tops of the rolls. Bake in a preheated oven for ~25 mins, until the tops of the rolls are golden brown.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes, remove from pan and then cut the rolls in half. Smear each half with garlic aioli then place the bottom half of the rolls back in the pan. Top with ham slices, apples, caramelized onions and cheddar slices, then put the top half back on.
- Place the rolls back in the oven at 350°F for 20 mins or until cheese is melty. Serve hot!