Herbed Cheesy Semolina Bread
Prep 20M + 2H 45M Proofing | Cook 30M | Enjoy in 3H 30M
Semolina is a high-gluten flour made from hard durum wheat. It has a coarse texture and light yellow colour and has an increased amount of gluten protein. It is often used in the preparation of pasta and couscous, but it is also suitable for making breads and other baked goods. This recipe is part of our April meal plan.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup semolina (Durum Wheat Semolina)
2 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp salt
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp dried rosemary
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup + 2 tbsp lukewarm water
¾ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
½ cup grated fresh Asiago cheese
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 tbsp butter, melted
- Add all ingredients except cheeses to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a flat beater attachment. Mix on low speed until a smooth dough is formed, about 3 minutes. Switch to the dough hook and knead on medium-low speed for 5 minutes.
- Add cheeses and mix until combined. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in volume, approximately 2 hours.
- Gently deflate the dough and divide into 2 pieces.
- Shape each piece into an oval loaf and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Cover each loaf with plastic wrap that has been lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Allow to rise for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Take off plastic wrap and make 3 shallow slashes in each loaf. Brush each loaf with melted butter. Bake until lightly browned, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer loaves to a rack to cool before serving. Enjoy!
Serves 12 (1 thick slice per serving)
Nutritional analysis per serving
11 g fat
10 g protein
27 g carbohydrate (26 g available carbohydrate)
1 g fibre
393 mg sodium