Herbed Focaccia Bread
Prep 20M + 2H Proofing | Cook 20M | Enjoy in 2H 40M
Focaccia bread is something we think of only getting at restaurants or from an Italian bakery, but it’s not hard to make at home! This focaccia recipe is great on its own or used as a sandwich bread. This recipe is part of our May meal plan.
5 tbsp olive oil, divided (plus more for drizzling)
1 ½ cups warm water
2 tsp granulated sugar
1 pkg (8 g) active dry yeast
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves picked from stems
3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked from stems
1 ½ tsp flaky salt
¼ tsp chili flakes (optional)
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Using a pastry brush or your fingers, spread oil in pan, ensuring sides are coated evenly to prevent sticking.
- Combine water, sugar and yeast in a measuring cup. Stir to combine. Cover loosely and set aside until mixture becomes foamy, about 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer yeast mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment. Add flour, salt and remaining 3 tbsp olive oil. Mix on medium-low speed until dough comes together, about 1 minute. Increase speed to medium and mix until dough is smooth and elastic and starting to pull away from the sides of the bowl, about 5 minutes. Dough will be sticky. If dough is too wet, add more flour 2 tbsp at a time.
- Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turning dough to coat with oil on all sides. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 ½ hours.
- Transfer dough to prepared pan and gently stretch dough and press with fingertips to fit pan. It may bounce back slightly. Cover and let rise until doubled in volume, about 30-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 F.
- Uncover dough and, using your fingers, press dimples into dough, pressing down firmly. Your fingers should reach the bottom of the pan without actually breaking through the dough.
- Drizzle with more olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary, thyme, salt and chili flakes.
- Bake until golden brown and slightly crispy on the edges, about 18-20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per serving
7 g fat
4 g protein
29 g carbohydrate (28 g available carbohydrate)
1 g fibre
244 mg sodium