Honey Cornbread Buns
Prep 25M | Bake 15M | Enjoy in 40M
We like to think that Mother’s and Father’s Day both land in the summer in order to take advantage of the warm weather. With Father’s Day on the horizon, you might be wondering what to make for dinner. Summer weather definitely means you should take advantage of your grill. While the focus of grilling season might often be the meat, we think your entire family will appreciate the flavour of these amazing honey cornbread buns. The southern flavour of these buns pairs perfectly with pulled pork or a backyard burger.
1 cup warm water
3 tbsp warm milk
1 1/2 tbsp dry active yeast
1/3 cup honey
2 eggs, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups yellow corn meal
Pinch of salt
2 1/2 tbsp salted butter, softened
- Combine the warm water, milk, yeast and 2 tablespoons of the honey in a bowl and let stand until foamy.
- Beat one egg.
- In another large bowl, whisk the flour, corn meal and salt together, then add the butter and rub the mixture together until the crumbs form.
- Stir together the yeast mixture and the flour mixture, adding the beaten egg and remaining honey. Continue to stir until a dough forms.
- Move dough to a smooth, floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. The dough should remain somewhat sticky.
- Grease a large bowl and place the dough ball in it. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled.
- After the dough has risen, divide the ball into 8 equal balls and place onto two baking sheets lined with parchment paper, ensuring the buns are at least 3 inches apart.
- Cover the dough balls loosely with plastic wrap that has been lightly greased and let the buns rise again, 1 to 2 hours.
- Place a shallow pan of water in the bottom rack of your oven and preheat to 400°
- Beat the remaining egg with a tablespoon of water. Remove the plastic wrap from the buns and brush the tops with the egg wash.
- Bake for around 15 minutes, turning the pans halfway through baking. The buns are done when the tops reach a golden brown colour. Cool completely and use within two days or freeze.