Lemon Chicken Soup (Avgolemono)
Prep 15M | Cook 45M | Enjoy 1Hr
Filled with lots of feel-good vegetables, high in protein from chicken and eggs and packed with carbohydrates to fuel your busy day, this Greek-style lemon chicken (avgolemono) soup is the perfect cold weather lunch or dinner. Serve with a crusty baguette to soak up any leftover lemon chicken broth.
½ tbsp olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped
1 large zucchini, sliced
4 carrots, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
2 chicken breasts
7 cups of chicken broth
3 tbsp fresh dill
1 tbsp fresh parsley
1 tsp oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of couscous or orzo
3 egg yolks
- Sauté onion, garlic, zucchini, carrots and celery in olive oil in a large stock pot on medium high heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Move the vegetables to the sides of your pot and add the chicken breasts. Season with salt and pepper and sear for 3 minutes per side.
- Add the chicken broth, dill, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper and couscous or orzo.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove the chicken breasts and shred the chicken before adding it back to the pot.
- Set aside one cup of the soup broth and slowly add in the egg yolks one at a time, while whisking vigorously so the eggs do not scramble.
- Add the egg yolk broth and the juice from all three lemons back to the soup.
- Garnish with extra dill and parsley and enjoy!