Mac & Cheese Muffins by GetJoyfull
Prep 30M | Bake 15M | Enjoy in 45M
These Mac & Cheese muffins are the perfect way to enjoy a classic with a new twist. Showcasing Canadian Wheat in three ways — the roux, the whole-grain pasta, and a crisp crumb topping, these perfectly portioned, and portable morsels of goodness are a GetJoyfull favourite for quick lunches, rushed weeknight dinners, and late-night snacks.
Recipe developed, and quality tested by:
Makes: 10-12 muffins
2 cups whole wheat macaroni, dry
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups milk (2%)
1 cup squash, cooked, mashed (optional)
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1/8 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
2 tbsp butter, melted
1. Cook macaroni as per package directions. Al dente is preferred. Drain, and set aside.
2. Place panko in medium bowl. Add 2 tbsp melted butter, and chopped parsley. Stir with a fork to combine. Set aside.
3. Gently heat milk in saucepan over low heat; keep warm.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F.
5. In another saucepan, melt ¼ cup butter. Add flour, and stir well. Cook while stirring for 2 minutes.
6. Add warm milk, one cup at a time, whisking constantly until smooth.
7. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in cooked squash, if desired.
8. Add grated cheeses, stirring until melted. Be careful not to boil cheese sauce, or it may “break.”
9. Season with nutmeg, and salt and pepper, if desired.
10. Remove from heat, and stir in cooked macaroni.
11. Spoon mixture into lined muffin tins, making 10-12 muffins.
12. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm or room temperature.
For more great recipes like this one, visit GetJoyFull.
Get the nutrition facts for this recipe here.