Morning Glory Muffins
Prep 15M | Cook 25M | Enjoy 40M
These hearty muffins are packed with lots of wholesome ingredients, including wheat germ. Wheat germ is the nutritious heart of the wheat kernel and is a good source of folate, vitamin E, phosphorus and thiamin. Add in some carrots from your garden or the farmers market to up the vitamin A content!
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup wheat germ
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp salt
¾ cup packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
½ cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
¼ cup pineapple juice
2 cups grated carrots
1 cup grated apple
1/3 cup chopped pecans
½ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together flours, wheat germ, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla and pineapple juice. Stir in grated carrots and apple.
- Add liquid ingredients to flour mixture and stir gently a few times. Add pecans and raisins and stir mixture just until combined.
- Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin tins. Bake until toothpick inserted in centres of muffins comes out clean, about 20–25 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then transfer muffins to a rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serves 12 (1 muffin per serving)
Nutritional analysis per serving
13 g fat
5 g protein
41 g carbohydrate (38 g available carbohydrate)
3 g fibre
341 mg sodium