Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
by from scratch by madi
One recipe that everyone should have on hand is foolproof chocolate chip cookies. Simple, yet always a crowd pleaser. This Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe by From Scratch by Madi is slightly crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. They’re delicious and quite simple to make!
One thing to note about this recipe is that it calls for the dough to chill a minimum of 30 minutes before baking. Make sure to include this step! Letting the dough sit allows time for the flavours to develop. Madi typically rests her dough a minimum of 2 hours (although sometimes overnight if there’s time). The result is an almost caramel like cookie with delicious melted chocolate throughout.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup chocolate chips
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together the softened butter and both sugars on medium speed until fluffy, about five minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix on medium until combined, about two minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl
- Turn the mixer on low and slowly add dry ingredients until fully combined, about one minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Turn the mixer back on low and add the oats and chocolate chips until just combined, about one minute.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the dough for MINIMUM 30 minutes. We recommend overnight to allow maximum time for the flavours to develop.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line cookie sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Portion the dough using a cookie scoop and separate scoops approximately 1.5 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- Press dough down about halfway and bake for 10-13 minutes, rotating the tray halfway through.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 1-2 minutes before transferring to cooling racks