Overnight Denver Breakfast Strata
Prep 15M | Cook 60M | Enjoy in 1H 15M (+Overnight)
The flavours of this breakfast strata are inspired by the classic Denver omelette. This dish can be completely assembled and refrigerated overnight and baked in the morning, making it a great choice for breakfast on Christmas morning. This recipe is part of our December meal plan.
1 tbsp butter
1 ½ cups chopped onion
1 cup diced green bell pepper
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1 ½ cups diced ham
10 large eggs
2 cups milk
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
½ tsp dry mustard
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp cayenne (optional)
6 cups cubed whole wheat bread
1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and peppers and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, dry mustard, garlic powder and cayenne. Set aside.
- Place half of bread cubes in a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with half of vegetable mixture and half of cheese. Repeat layers.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over bread and vegetables. Press mixture down gently with a spatula to ensure all pieces are coated with eggs.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and let stand for 20-30 minutes at room temperature. Meanwhile preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake, uncovered, until eggs are set and strata is lightly browned around the edges, about 45-60 minutes.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serves 8 (1½ cups per serving)
Nutritional analysis per serving
20 g fat
28 g protein
33 g carbohydrate (28 g available carbohydrate)
5 g fibre
1036 mg sodium