Paper mâché pumpkins
Prep 30M | Dry 48H | Enjoy in 3 Days
A fun craft for adults and kids alike, these paper mâché pumpkins are perfect as your thanksgiving table centrepiece or on the porch for Halloween. Use different sized bags to make a variety of pumpkin sizes (you can even use a garbage bag to make a big pumpkin) and make sure to coat your pumpkins with joint compound so they stay strong for many seasons to come!
If you’re looking for more pumpkin crafts, try this raffia pumpkin craft from KiwiCo corner.
Plastic grocery bags
Newspaper (for stuffing)
Newspaper strips (for paper mâché)
- Fill your plastic grocery bag with other bags and newspaper to build a round pumpkin shape.
- Once you are happy with the size of your pumpkin, tape down the centre of the pumpkin with lines of tape to create the pumpkin-like shape. Create a stem at the top of the pumpkin with folded pieces of paper and tape it down.
- Mix together one-part flour with two-parts water and a dash of salt to create your paper mâché mix. Dip your strips of newspaper in the paper mâché mixand mold the strips around your grocery bag pumpkin. Cover your pumpkin in at least two layers of paper mâché. Allow to dry for at least 24 hours.
- Once dry, cover your pumpkin in joint compound to preserve the pumpkin. Allow to dry for at least 24 hours.
- Now is the fun part! Paint your pumpkin with your colours of choice. We like classic orange or a soft white. Pumpkins can be displayed indoors or outside and should last over multiple years.