Petit Wheat Puffs
Prep 15M | Bake 25M | Enjoy in 40M
Fabulous little cocktail treats on their own, or with savoury fillings. Omit the cheese and herbs, and these are the sweet profiteroles or cream puffs we love to fill with cream and drizzle with chocolate or caramel sauce.
1 cup all purpose wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup water
½ cup canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup strong cheese (blue, old cheddar, smoked gouda), optional
1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs (thyme, oregano, basil), optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease.
- In bowl whisk together flour and baking soda. In a medium sized saucepan, over medium heat, combine water, canola oil and salt. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and add flour mixture all at once, stirring vigorously until a ball pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- With an electric mixer or whisk beat in eggs, one at a time. The batter should be smooth and shiny between each egg addition, about one minute. Mixture will be soft and elastic, and will mound off a spoon.Stir in cheese and herbs if a savoury pastry is desired.
- Drop batter by the teaspoon, onto baking sheets leaving approximately 2 inches (10 cm) between puffs.Bake for 18-20 minutes until puffed and lightly browned. After removing from the oven, with a small sharp knife, carefully pierce the side of each puff to allow steam to escape and the puff to stay crisp.
- Puffs can be filled by slicing the top 1/3 off of the puff, spoon in filling and replace top.Freeze in one layer, to keep their shape, for up to one month. Reheat in a 200°F (100°C) oven to warm before serving.