All Purpose & Whole Wheat Pie Crust
Prep 30M | Rest 20M | Enjoy 1 Hr
An all whole wheat pie crust is doable, but it can be tough and not suited to all fillings. A mixture of wheat flours has a flakier texture with the nutty flavour of whole wheat, perfect for both sweet and savoury fillings.
Tip: Use smaller pie plates or pans and make a variety of individual pies.
2 cups all purpose wheat flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup butter
½ cup very cold water
- In a food processor or large mixing bowl blend flours with salt.
- Add shortening and butter and process on low until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly add cold water, stopping when the mixture begins to hold together. All of the water may not be needed. (Alternately, using a pastry blender, cut shortening and butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, just until mixture starts to hold together.)
- Form dough into two balls, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and rest for 20 minutes. Dough can be frozen or refrigerated for later use at this time.
- Allow to thaw on countertop (not microwave) before proceeding with baking.
- To bake: Roll out dough to size and thickness of specific recipe instructions. Fill as directed and bake according to directions.
Cook Time: Follow individual pie cooking times for fillings and size
Makes: 2- 9 inch (23 cm) pie crusts or 1 pie crust with top
Get the nutrition facts for this recipe here.