Road Trip Cheese Buns
Prep 60M | Bake 20M | Enjoy in 1Hr 20M
It’s 4:30 a.m., and your vehicle is loaded for a cross country road trip.
You pack your kids into the car; they’re groggy, maybe even a little cranky. Your son is poking your daughter, who is listening to her music too loud. They’re starting to kick, scream and shout. You’re stuck in the front seat, dreading the next several hours…but you had a plan all along.
You crack open the container, filling the car with an aromatic holy trifecta of fried bacon, cheddar cheese and homemade dough.
Her music comes off. His hands are to himself. A hush falls over the crowd.
Their eyes light up as you pass back two cheesy, salty, buttery buns. Their hands peel the cinnamon-bun like roll, revealing layers of thick cut bacon, cheese and green onion.
They dive right in with a reckless abandon, giving them the energy boost they were looking for. Forget the doughnuts; the combination of proteins, carbs, fats and calcium are what they’re really after.
The mood quickly changes. The sun starts to come over the horizon. You have discovered the secret to getting your kids to behave for the next 13 hours. Bribery.
A new road trip tradition is born.
3 cups warm water
3 tsp sugar
3 tbsp yeast
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup oil (canola or olive)
2 3/4 cups sifted flour
Extra flour for kneading
1 lb bacon
2 1/2 cup cheese
1 bunch of green onions
1. Mix water, sugar and yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add salt, oil and mix 1½ cups of flour until smoothly mixed. Gradually add the remaining 1¼ cups of flour.
2. Spread flour on dry surface. Knead dough until smoothly mixed. Place in greased bowl and let rise for an hour.
3. Roll out flat into a rectangle. Add sliced green onion, shredded cheddar cheese (not pre-shredded, off the block is preferred), and diced pre-fried bacon.
4. Roll like cinnamon buns. Slice and place into greased muffin tins.
5. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, or until done.
Get the nutrition facts for this recipe here.