Crushed Toffee, Pecan and Salted Chocolate Shortbread
Prep 20M | Cook 30M | Enjoy in 50M
A cross between a cookie and a bar, these crushed toffee, pecan and salted chocolate shortbread wedges have it all. A not too sweet base of shortbread, pecans and crushed hard toffee drizzled with melted chocolate and a sprinkle of coarse salt.
Tip: Keep in tightly covered container for up to one week. Freeze for up to two months.
Makes: 18 triangle bars
1 ½ cups all purpose wheat flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup soft butter
¼ cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup (2 pkgs 250g each), crushed hard toffee candy
½ cup chopped pecans
½ cup melted, milk or dark chocolate
1 tsp coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F (190°C). Line an 8X10″ baking pan with parchment paper.
- To crush toffee into small pieces, place in a heavy plastic bag, unsealed and tap each candy gently with a hammer or heavy pot to “crack” it. Pieces should be small, but not powdered.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl beat together butter, icing sugar, egg and vanilla. Stir in 2-5 minutes until slightly brown around edges and top is dry and firm.
- Melt chocolate in microwave Heat it on medium high for about one minute to start with. Remove from the microwave and stir. Repeat heating at shorter intervals, 15 to 20 seconds, stirring in between, until the chocolate is completely melted and has a smooth consistency.
- Remove pan to cooling rack. Evenly sprinkle top with remaining crushed toffee, drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with coarse salt. Allow to cool slightly. Cut into nine squares and then cut each square diagonally in half for the triangle shape. Remove from pan when completely cooled.
Get the nutrition facts for this recipe here.