Sausage, Kale and Gnocchi Soup
Prep 10M | Cook 40M | Enjoy in 50M
Soups are great one-pot meals. This super easy recipe is packed with vegetables and protein but doesn’t skip out on flavour! If you like some heat, increase the red pepper flakes or use spicy Italian sausage. This soup is hearty and nutrient dense all at the same time.
1 lb (454 g) Italian sausage (mild or spicy), casings removed
1 cup diced yellow onion
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
3 cloves minced garlic
½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
6 cups no-salt-added chicken broth
½ cup whipping cream
½ cup half and half
1 package (500 g) gnocchi
6 cups chopped fresh kale, stems removed
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Remove casings from sausage and add to pot, breaking up slightly with a spatula; cook until browned through, about 8 minutes. Drain excess grease from pot.
- Add onions, peppers, garlic, basil and red pepper flakes (if using) and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cream, half and half and gnocchi and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add kale. Cover and let sit until kale is softened and wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serves 6 (1½ cups per serving)
Nutritional analysis per serving
16 g fat
21 g protein
40 g carbohydrate (37 g available carbohydrate)
3 g fibre
1045 mg sodium