Sausage and Swiss Chard Soup
Prep 15M | Cook 25M | Enjoy in 40M
This hearty and easy-to-make soup is filled with healthy veggies and Ukrainian garlic sausage. Serve with a fresh crusty bread and good glass of wine.
2 tsp canola oil
350g pre-cooked Ukrainian garlic sausage, diced
1½ cups chopped yellow onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 cup diced carrot
2 cups diced zucchini
1 can (540 mL) low sodium white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/ 3 cup dry orzo pasta
8 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
3 sprigs fresh thyme
4 cups roughly chopped Swiss chard
3 tbsp freshly sliced basil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add onion and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add carrots and zucchini and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add beans, orzo, broth, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and thyme. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until orzo is tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add Swiss chard and basil and cook just until wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serves 6 (1 ½ cups per serving)
Nutritional analysis per serving
9 g fat
19 g protein
25 g carbohydrate (20 g available carbohydrate)
5 g fibre
923 mg sodium