Savory Holiday Star Bread
Prep 60M | Bake 20M | Enjoy in 1Hr 20M
Savory holiday star bread by Jessica Musslewhite will definitely be the centre of your table’s attention this festive season. Baked with a mixture of wholesome whole wheat and all-purpose flour. Taking a step on the savory side, with a classic combination of flavours – roasted red pepper, Asiago cheese and basil pesto (plus some pistachios for a little crunch).
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
8g package of active dry yeast
¾ cup milk, plus ¼ cup warm milk
1 tsp sugar
1 egg at room temperature, plus 1 egg for brushing
¼ cup butter, softened
½ tsp salt
¼ cup basil pesto (prepared or homemade)
¼ cup chopped pistachios
¾ cup grated Asiago cheese
½ cup pureed roasted red peppers (prepared or homemade) Note: if your puree has too much liquid, strain before using so the texture is more of a loose paste)
- Heat ¼ cup milk in microwave for 15-20 seconds. Add yeast and sugar, let stand for 10 minutes. In large bowl, add the flour, egg, butter, 3/4 cup milk, salt and yeast mixture. Combine until a sticky ball forms. Turn onto counter and knead for 6-8 minutes, or until the dough becomes soft and elastic. Place into a large lightly oiled bowl and cover. Let rise for 1 hour until dough has doubled in size.
- On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough into four equal parts. Shape into fours balls and cover for another 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll one ball a time into a 10-inch circle. Place dough on parchment paper lined pizza pan or large baking sheet.
- Spread the red pepper paste on the dough, leaving half-an-inch space from the edge.
- Roll out a second ball, layer onto of the first and sprinkle with cheese and pistachios.
- Roll out third ball, layer with basil pesto.
- Roll out forth ball and place on top.
- Using a cup as guide, place in the centre of the dough. Cut the dough into four equal parts, stopping at the edge of the cup. Cut each quarter section twice more so you are left with 12 slices (this will make a 6 point star, if you’d like a 8 point star, cut each quarter into four slices).
- Pick up two slices (one in each hand) and twist the strands outwards twice and pinch the two twists closed together. Repeat until all slices have been twisted and combined.
- Brush bread with beaten egg, sprinkle with salt, and bake for 20 minute, or until golden brown.
For more great recipes like this one, visit Mushrooms and Thyme.
Get the nutrition facts for this recipe here.