Manitoba Schmoo Torte
Prep 40M | Bake 50M | Enjoy in 1H 30M
Have you heard of the Schmoo? Schmoo Torte is a classically Canadian pecan cake with whipped cream and caramel sauce that is decadent and delicious. Originally made for a Bar Mitzvah, Schmoo Torte took off in Winnipeg and is now served in local bakeshops around the province. Make this ooey gooey cake for dessert after Christmas dinner.
Ingredients – Cake:
¼ tsp cream of tartar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Heading Ingredients – Filling/Icing:
2 ½ cups whipping cream
2 tbsp granulated sugar
Ingredients – Sauce:
1 ½ cups packed brown sugar
1 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp butter
Directions – Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Toast the pecans in a pan on the stove for 5-10 minutes and allow to cool while you prepare the cake.
- Separate your egg yolks and whites into two large bowls. Add the cream of tartar to the egg white bowl and beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add in ½ cup of the sugar, two tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- In your egg yolk bowl, beat yolks and remaining sugar until pale and thickened. Add in the vanilla.
- In a third bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Gradually add the flour and baking powder into yolk mixture.
- Fold in egg whites and pecans to the egg yolk and flour mixture. Once combined, scrape batter into 10-inch cake pan.
- Bake in middle rack of oven for about 50 minutes or until the cake is firm. Let cake cool on a cooling rack for 20 minutes and then cut horizontally into three layers.
Directions – Icing/Filling:
- Whip cream and sugar together in a large bowl until forming stiff peaks.
- Using one cup of the whipped cream, spread over top of bottom layer of the cake. Place second layer on top and repeat.
- Top with remaining layer and spread remaining cream over top and sides. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Directions – Sauce:
- In saucepan, whisk together brown sugar, cream and butter; bring to boil
- Let cool completely and drizzle the majority of the sauce over cake.
- Serve with any remaining sauce on the side. Enjoy!