Simple & Sweet Sugar Cookies
Prep 40M | Bake 15M | Decorate 15M | Enjoy in 1HR 10M
Sugar cookies are a sweet and simple treat that are great for any holiday or occasion. For Valentine’s Day we’re using a heart shaped cookie cutter and red, pink and white icing and sprinkles for a festive treat.
Makes: approx. 45 cookies (depending on shapes used)
Ingredients - Cookie Dough:
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
Ingredients - Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Food colouring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth, about 3 min. Scrape down sides of bowl, add egg and mix well. Scrape down sides of bowl again, slowly add flour and mix until a soft dough forms. Dust hands with flour and, in bowl, knead dough by hand until smooth.
- Refrigerate, about 20 min. Dust a piece of parchment paper with flour, place dough in centre, dust top of dough with flour and cover with another sheet of parchment paper. Roll dough to about a 1/4-in. (5 mm) thickness. Remove top sheet of parchment (use it to line your baking sheet).
- Cut into shape of choice using cookie cutters, then place on prepared cookie sheet, spaced about 1 in. (2.5 cm) apart. Bake on middle rack until set, 10 to 12 min.
- While cookies are baking, combine icing ingredients until smooth.
- Let cookies cool completely before decorating.
Get the nutrition facts for this recipe here.