Prep 15M | Cook 40M | Enjoy in 55M
This spaghetti sauce is a great way to use up any extra veggies you have in your fridge. A hit amongst kids and adults, you can’t go wrong with this recipe!
1 lb lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion (use what you have available)
1 cup chopped carrots (use what you have available)
1 cup chopped celery (use what you have available)
3 cloves minced garlic
2 cups sliced mushrooms (use what you have available)
1 cup diced green bell pepper (use what you have available)
1 can (796 mL) crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp fresh chopped oregano, or 1 tsp dried
2 tbsp fresh chopped basil, or 2 tsp dried
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1 tsp granulated sugar
5 cups cooked whole wheat spaghetti noodles
- In a frying pan, brown beef until no longer pink. Drain the excess fat and put into a large pot.
- Place carrots, celery and onion into a food processor and pulse until very small.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery mix to the beef and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and green peppers. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes and add oregano, basil, pepper, cayenne and sugar.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve over whole wheat pasta noodles. Enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per 1 cup:
6 g fat
16 g protein
30 g carbohydrate (25 g available carbohydrate)
5 g fibre
141 mg sodium