Spiced Carrot Lentil Mini Muffins
Prep 15M | Cook 40M | Enjoy in 55M
High in fibre and protein, and versatile and delicious, lentils are one of our favourite foods to cook with (besides wheat of course). Luckily for us, Canada produces some of the best lentils in the world. Try them in these sweet and spicy carrot muffins. This recipe is part of our June meal plan.
1¾ cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
½ cup red lentils
2 large eggs
1 cup shredded carrot
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Rinse and drain ½ cup dry red lentils. Add lentils to a saucepot with 1 ½ cups water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Purée cooked lentils in a food processor until smooth, or mash with a potato masher or a fork. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar, vanilla, applesauce, lentil purée, eggs and carrots.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into muffin tin, filling each muffin cup no more than 2/3 full.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into the centre of muffin comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and cool fully on a rack.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional analysis per 1 muffin
4 g fat
5 g protein
30 g carbohydrate (27 g available carbohydrate)
3 g fibre
118 mg sodium