Stewed Rhubarb Chia Parfaits
Prep 20M | Cook 10M| Enjoy in 30M
Rhubarb is abundant in the springtime in Alberta try these parfaits layered with Greek yogurt and graham cracker crumbs for a great make-ahead dessert! This recipe is part of our April meal plan.
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp honey
1 tsp lemon zest
3 large stalks of fresh rhubarb, trimmed and sliced into ½ inch pieces
¼ cup granulated sugar
⅓ cup water
Squeeze of lemon juice
¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp salted butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, combine Greek yogurt, chia seeds, honey and lemon zest. Let sit in refrigerator until stewed rhubarb is ready.
- In a medium saucepan, combine rhubarb, sugar, and water. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until rhubarb is tender but not completely falling apart, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally, very gently.
- Once the rhubarb is cooked, gently stir in a squeeze of lemon juice and taste for sweetness. If the mixture is a bit tart, stir in more sugar, one teaspoon at a time.
- Let mixture cool completely, then store covered in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
- In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter.
- In small jars or glasses, layer yogurt mixture, stewed rhubarb and graham crumbs, repeating until all ingredients are used up.
Nutritional analysis per ¾ cup serving
10 g fat
8 g protein
36 g carbohydrate (34 g available carbohydrate)
2 g fibre
107 mg sodium