Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
Prep 15M | Cook 45M | Enjoy in 1H
Wheat kernels have several compartments that contain a variety of nutrients. The germ compartment is in the centre of the kernel and is responsible for providing nutrients to help the plant grow, reproduce and spawn new wheat. Wheat germ contains many different vitamins and minerals such as vitamin E, folate, phosphorus, thiamin, zinc and magnesium. This recipe is part of our April meal plan.
Ingredients - Topping:
¼ cup old fashioned oats
¼ cup wheat germ
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp finely chopped almonds
3 tbsp packed light brown sugar
¼ tsp salt
3 tbsp butter, softened
Ingredients - Fruit Filling:
4 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
4 cups chopped strawberries
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup fresh orange juice
1 tsp orange zest
½ tsp ground cardamom
2 tbsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, prepare the crumb topping by combining oats, wheat germ, flour, almonds, brown sugar and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add butter and mix gently with fingertips until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, orange juice, orange zest, cardamom and cornstarch.
- Transfer fruit mixture to a greased 9 by 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over fruit.
- Bake until filling is thickened and bubbly, and topping is lightly browned, about 40 to 45 minutes. If topping browns too quickly, cover with foil.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Serves 8 (¾ cup per serving)
Nutritional analysis per serving
6 g fat
3 g protein
35 g carbohydrate (31 g available carbohydrate)
4 g fibre
113 mg sodium