Sweet Citrus Chocolate Scones
Prep 25M | Cook 15M | Enjoy in 40M
Chocolate and orange. It’s a fantastic pairing. The rich sweetness of chocolate with the subtle citrus note of the orange in these scones is enough to make you eat the whole batch. Maybe save a few for the family though. Or don’t. If you can hide the evidence before anyone finds out, more power to you.
These scones are perfect to grab on the way out the door in the morning or to have with a hot cup of tea on a rainy afternoon.
For the scones:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Zest of 1 orange
½ cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
60 grams chopped dark chocolate
½ cup buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
Zest of 1 orange
2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 425 F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking sheet.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt sugar, cinnamon and orange zest. Add butter using a pastry cutter. Once it resembles crumbs, stir in the chocolate.
- Whisk the buttermilk and egg together and pour the mixture into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Stir everything until the dough begins to come together, but be sure to not overwork the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and pat it out into an 8-inch circle, cutting the circle into wedges. Place the dough wedges onto a baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden on the edges and set throughout. Once they are fully baked, place them onto a rack to cool.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the glaze until smooth and runny, then drizzle over the warm scones and enjoy.
Get the nutrition facts for this recipe here.