Three Breakfasts to Fuel Your Day
Sweet and savoury high-protein options
Start your day off by fueling your body with the nutrients it needs! Many wheat products are a great source of fibre, making meals with wheat involved super satiating. Combine that with protein, fat and fruit and veggies for micronutrients, and you have a balanced meal that’ll be sure to get you through whatever the day throws your way. Try these three breakfast meals out this week!
There’s no reason you can’t have burritos for breakfast! Breakfast Burritos are a great savoury option for when you have extra time to prepare something in the morning. Alternatively, prepare a batch in advance and freeze for up to one month—just defrost in the microwave and pop it back on a skillet over medium heat to crisp it up. These Breakfast Burritos are a good source of protein and fibre, the two nutrients needed to keep you satisfied until lunch time.
2 tsp canola oil
1/2 small red onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 cup drained, rinsed canned black beans
1/4 tsp chili flakes
Salt and ground black pepper
4 eggs and 4 egg whites
1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounce) shredded cheddar cheese
Nonstick cooking spray
4 (10 inch) whole wheat tortillas (burrito size)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup salsa
1 large tomato, diced
1 small avocado, cubed
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Cook onions and peppers until soft, add black beans and red pepper flakes and cook until warm. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to bowl.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and cheese together. Spray skillet and rehear over medium. Reduce heat to low, add eggs and scramble until cooked. Add one tablespoon sour cream and salsa to each tortilla then layer with bean mixture, egg mixture and add diced tomato and avocado. Add hot sauce to taste, roll up and enjoy!
Banana Bread Protein Muffins
Sweet breakfast lovers unite! For those of us that have a sweet tooth come morning, kicking it up a notch with protein is a great way to avoid the dreaded sugar crash. Get fibre and protein from the whole wheat flour PLUS even more protein in the egg whites, Greek yogurt and protein powder. Top these muffins with a drizzle of honey or peanut butter to make them as sweet as you like!
1 large ripe banana
1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
3/4 cup of egg whites
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 scoops of vanilla protein powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
¼ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Using a hand mixer, mix banana and Greek yogurt until smooth. Fold in remaining ingredients until just mixed (overmixing can cause the muffin to be too dense).
- Spray muffin tin with nonstick spray and scoop ¼ cup batter into each muffin tin. Bake for about 11-13 minutes. Let cool & enjoy!
Cottage Cheese Toast
Cottage Cheese Toast is the perfect breakfast for when you want a little savoury AND sweet—just make one of each! The base of toast and cottage cheese can stay the same but customizing your toppings can change up the flavour to whatever you’re feeling that day. This one comes together quick and is full of protein and fibre, so it’s great for busy mornings.
2 slices whole grain or sourdough bread
½ cup cottage cheese
Toppings to taste, like avocado, tomato, blueberries, honey, etc.
- Toast whole grain or sourdough bread.
- Top each slice with ¼ cup of cottage cheese and toppings of your choice! Savoury options: avocado, tomato, salt and cracked pepper; smoked salmon, cucumber, dill and capers. Sweet options: blueberries, blackberries and honey; strawberries and maple syrup; cinnamon sugar.
We hope you enjoy these energizing breakfast options, whether you’re a sweet or savoury breakfast fan. Enjoy!