Three ultimate grilled cheese sandwich recipes
Celebrating Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day with gooey goodness
The crispy crunch of toasty bread mixed with the warm gooeyness of melting cheese… who can resist? We sure can’t. That’s why we’re celebrating National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day April 12th with three ultimate recipes that will give you the cheese pulls you dream about. We love grilled cheese sandwiches because of their versatility—like wheat, the possibilities are endless! Choosing the right bread can make all the difference, so check out our suggestions for some delicious options.
Bacon Apple Brie Grilled Cheese on Sourdough
Get those tastebuds moving with some salty-sweet action in this grilled cheese. The mild flavour of the brie allows the tangy sourdough, salty bacon and sweet apple to take charge. Any crusty bread will do for this one but sourdough gives it that unique flavour and is gut friendly—it’s a win-win!
2 slices sourdough bread
2 tsp butter
¼ to ½ an apple, sliced thinly (Granny Smith if you prefer sour; Red Delicious for a sweeter kick)
1 wedge brie cheese, sliced thinly
2 slices bacon, cooked
- Spread 1 teaspoon butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Heat skillet to medium heat and place one piece of bread butter side down.
- Layer it up! Place the brie, bacon and apple slices on the bread.
- Close sandwich with top piece of bread, butter side up.
- Cook for 2-5 minutes, flipping halfway, until bread gets golden brown and cheese is melted.
Whole Grain Avocado and Tomato Grilled Cheese
Not only is this grilled cheese sandwich totally tasty, but you also get a great dose of fibre from the whole grain bread, healthy fats from the avocado and vitamin C from the tomato. Delicious and nutritious! This recipe is a great way to add more fibre in your diet.
2 slices whole grain bread
2 tsp butter
Extra old cheddar cheese, sliced
½ avocado, sliced
½ tomato, sliced
Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Spread 1 teaspoon of butter on each bread slice.
- Season your avocado and tomato slices with salt and pepper, and stack the slices of cheese, avocado and tomato on the unbuttered sides of the bread.
- On a hot skillet, place sandwich butter side down and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Flip sandwich over and cook for additional 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted and bread is crispy around the edges.
Classic Grilled Cheese
You can’t go wrong with the classic. Simple and easy to whip up in no time, the Classic Grilled Cheese is a no-brainer for whenever that grilled cheese craving hits. A white bread made with enriched (better known as all-purpose) flour is a great option because all-purpose flour is enriched with vitamins like iron, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin and folic acid.
2 slices white bread
1 tbsp mayonnaise
2 slices cheddar cheese
- Preheat skillet over medium heat.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon of mayo on each slice of bread.
- Place bread mayo-side-down onto skillet bottom and add two slices of cheese. Place mayo-side-up on top of sandwich.
- Grill until lightly browned and flip over; continue grilling until cheese is melted.
We hope you enjoy trying out these tasty recipes. Happy National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day!