Trail Mix Energy Cookies
Prep 20 M | Bake 10M | Enjoy in 30M
If you’re thinking of heading for an outdoor adventure, it’s important to bring some energy-packed snacks to keep you fueled. Instead of regular trail mix, try these trail mix cookies—a perfect portable snack! This recipe is part of our July meal plan.
1 large egg
¼ cup salted butter, melted
¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup roughly chopped almonds
½ cup pumpkin seeds
½ cup roughly chopped unsalted peanuts
½ cup old-fashioned large-flake oats
½ cup dried cranberries
¾ cup mini M&Ms (or chocolate chips)
- In a large bowl, combine egg, butter, sugar, vanilla, salt and baking soda. Whisk until smooth.
- Add flour and whisk to combine. Add almonds, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, oats, cranberries and M&Ms. Stir just until combined.
- Cover and refrigerate until dough is firm, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350⁰
- Spoon dough in 3 tbsp measures onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until edges of cookies are lightly browned, about 9–10 minutes. Cookies will look slightly soft in centres.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes on baking sheets. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Note: For even more flavour, try toasting the nuts and seeds before chopping. Add nuts and seeds to a medium frypan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and lightly browned, about 7–10 minutes. Transfer to a heat-safe bowl and allow to cool fully before chopping.
Makes 16 cookies
Nutritional analysis per cookie
14 g fat
5 g protein
23 g carbohydrate (21 g available carbohydrate)
2 g fibre
112 mg sodium