Turkey And Spinach Lasagna
Prep 20M | Cook 1Hr 5M | Enjoy in 1Hr 25M
Mamma Mia! This healthy lasagna made with whole wheat noodles and ground turkey is not only tasty and packed full of veggies, it can also be frozen in individual portions for easy meals on the go.
2 tsp canola oil
1 lb ground turkey
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup carrots, peeled and diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup red peppers, diced
1 can (796 mL) crushed tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried basil
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp sugar
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp canola oil
6 cups spinach
1 cup ricotta
1 500g package lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions
½ cup mozzarella, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pot over medium heat. Add turkey and cook until no longer pink.
- Add onions, carrots and celery and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic, herbs, salt and pepper and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the can of crushed tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat 1 tsp canola oil in a frypan and add spinach. Allow to wilt. Cool the spinach and mix with ricotta.
- Spread a splash of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.
- Layer ¼ of the lasagna noodles in the pan.
- Spread ½ of ricotta mixture evenly over noodles.
- Layer another ¼ of noodles on top of ricotta.
- Add ½ of tomato sauce and spread evenly.
- Add another noodle layer, then the rest of the ricotta mixture.
- Finish with the rest of the noodles and top with the remainder of the tomato sauce. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the top layer and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, covered, then remove foil and cook for 10-15, until the cheese is bubbling.
Per 1 slice:
7 g fat
24 g protein
43 g carbohydrate (38 g available carbohydrate)
5 g fibre
154 mg sodium