Turkey Vegetable Soup with Bulgur
Prep 15M | Cook 30M | Enjoy in 45M
Use up your leftover holiday turkey with this turkey vegetable soup with bulgur. Bulgur is a quick-cooking ancient grain that’s produced by cleaning, steaming, drying and crushing whole-wheat kernels. With a nutty flavour and chewy texture, bulgur wheat is the perfect base for this cozy turkey soup recipe. This recipe is part of our December meal plan.
1 tbsp canola oil
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 tbsp ground turmeric
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp dried rosemary
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 cup bulgur wheat
2 cups cooked turkey, shredded
½ cup frozen peas
- Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add carrots, celery, garlic, ginger and turmeric. Cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, thyme, rosemary and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the carrots and celery are almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add bulgur and cook until tender, about 10-12 minutes. Add turkey and peas and cook until heated through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serves 6 (1½ cups per serving)
Nutritional analysis per serving
5 g fat
30 g protein
29 g carbohydrate (23 g available carbohydrate)
6 g fibre
465 mg sodium