Veggie Pizza Pockets
Prep 1H 20M | Cook 25M| Enjoy in 1Hr 45M
Made with whole wheat flour and stuffed with veggies, these homemade pizza pockets have all the flavour of the store-bought version, with more wholesome ingredients.
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup warm water
½ cup milk
2 tbsp butter, melted
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1 cup sliced red peppers
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup spinach
¾ cup tomato sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp olive oil
Optional: ½ cup diced, cooked ham
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Combine yeast, sugar and water. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk and melted butter and mix well.
- In a third bowl, combine flour, cornmeal and salt. Add milk mixture and yeast mixture to create the dough. Knead for 8 minutes.
- Cover dough and allow to rest until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes to 1 hour. Cut into 8 pieces and roll out into circles.
- While the dough is resting, sauté peppers, mushrooms and spinach.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of tomato sauce to each dough circle, along with ham, sautéed vegetables and 2 tbsp of mozzarella cheese. Fold the dough in half and pinch the edges to seal.
- Brush olive oil over the pockets and sprinkle with Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy, or store in fridge or freezer for up to 3 months.
Nutritional analysis per 1 pizza pocket
10 g fat
14 g protein
44 g carbohydrate (41 g available carbohydrate)
3 g fibre
626 mg sodium