Wheat Berry & Spinach Turkey Soup
Prep 10M | Cook 45M | Enjoy in 55M
Warm up with a bowl of wheat berry and spinach turkey soup, packed with hearty veggies for the ultimate winter soup. Try it with Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey leftovers instead of ground turkey for an extra festive touch.
This soup freezes well; however, additional broth may need to be added to compensate for the swelling of the delicious, nutty and chewy wheat berries.
2 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb lean ground turkey
½ cup wheatberries
½ tsp red pepper flakes
½ tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 zucchini, diced
1 cup packed fresh spinach
3 Tbsp soy sauce, optional to taste if desired
- In a 4-quart (4-L) pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until onion is translucent, about two minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and cook, stirring to break up into chunks and browned slightly.
- Add the wheat berries, red pepper flakes, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cook for five minutes.
- Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer until wheat berries have softened and are chewy in texture, about 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots, zucchini and spinach until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- If desired add soy sauce just prior to serving. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Serves 8 to 10.
Get the nutrition facts for this recipe here.