Wheat, Seed and Honey Bread
Prep 1Hr 30M | Bake 35M | Enjoy in 2 Hr 5M
Give yourself a bit of time to enjoy this bread making project. For larger families bake a double batch, as this bread is delicious as French toast, simply toast, or with sandwich fillings and will disappear quickly.
Tip: Toasting the seeds intensifies the rich flavour. Purchase yeast by the jar, as you will be baking bread more often with this fast, easy technique.
Makes: 2 large loaves, 16 slices each
3 cups all purpose wheat flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp or 2 8g packets instant rise yeast
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp + 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sunflower seeds and/or flax
2½ cups very warm water (130°F/55°C)
¼ cup canola oil
2 Tbsp liquid honey
- In a large mixing bowl, or mixer bowl with a bread hook, blend all purpose and whole wheat flour with yeast, salt and 2 Tbsp each of the toasted seeds.
- In a large measuring cup whisk warm water, canola and honey. With the dough hook on low speed, or with a wooden spoon slowly add liquid to dry ingredients to make a soft dough. If too sticky, add a little more all purpose wheat flour. Knead with dough hook for five mins, or turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, elastic and no longer sticky, about 10 mins.
- Lightly grease two 8×10 inch loaf pans and divide dough evenly into pans. Cover with a clean cloth and leave to rise for one hour, or until dough springs back when pressed and has doubled in size.
- Dough can be baked “free form” in a round or oval shape, let rise on a large baking pan.
- Before baking make six to eight shallow slashes across surface of each loaf. Brush with water or milk and sprinkle remaining seed mixture over top. The slashes and moisture will bake the seeds onto the loaves.
- Allow to rest until oven is preheated to 350°F (180°C). Place loaves on the middle rack and bake for 30- 35 mins until brown on top and hollow sounding when lightly tapped.
- Remove from pans and cool before slicing.
Get the nutrition facts for this recipe here.